Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fuzzy's Indian Food Corner
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:15 am 

Thanks, that looks delicious. I think I have everything except the spinach and chana flour. Funny, I had it in my hand when I was at the Indian shop and was tempted but had no idea what to make with it. Other saags I have made have not had the flour in them so I am happy about that. I will let you know how it turns out.

I still have some of dal I made last week in the freezer so I think I have a nice vegetarian meal in my near future.

Mary

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

Mary,

Well, you need some kind of thickener, otherwise the saag paneer is watery, and you really want a gravy-like consistency. The chana flour is nice because it adds a little bit of flavor too.

I've also done saag paneer with yogurt, but I think that's too much dairy in one dish (although a North Indian would not agree with me).

J&J,

Well, you pretty much always want to add toasted ground spices ... things like Garam Masala and coriander-cumin powder ... at the very end.

As for samosas, I got nothing. I tend not to make them at home because of the effort & cleanup required, and the few times I have I just used eggroll wrappers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:18 pm 

Jeffrey and Juli wrote:
If I might be so bold as to make a request, I've still not found a samosa recipe I'm really pleased with. We prefer vegetable to meat samosas, and while I've made a few versions (and come up with a pretty good filling featuring potatoes, peas and fresh chilis), I've been less pleased with the pastry part of the dish so far.

J&J- I've got these 2 on my list of things to try one day, plan to have a samosa making fest with a neighbour and freezing them. At least that's what we've been talking about. ;)
http://www.canadianliving.com/food/cook ... amosas.php
http://www.canadianliving.com/food/vege ... hutney.php
The dough for these are different....if you do try them please let me know which you prefer. I'm a big fan of CL magazine...their recipes normally just work, similar to CI but usually more accessible for me ingredient wise as it's a canadian publication.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:48 am 

jeanf wrote:
Jeffrey and Juli wrote:
If I might be so bold as to make a request, I've still not found a samosa recipe I'm really pleased with. We prefer vegetable to meat samosas, and while I've made a few versions (and come up with a pretty good filling featuring potatoes, peas and fresh chilis), I've been less pleased with the pastry part of the dish so far.

J&J- I've got these 2 on my list of things to try one day, plan to have a samosa making fest with a neighbour and freezing them. At least that's what we've been talking about. ;)
The dough for these are different....if you do try them please let me know which you prefer. I'm a big fan of CL magazine...their recipes normally just work, similar to CI but usually more accessible for me ingredient wise as it's a canadian publication.

Those both look like they have promise. Some other good recipes at that site as well. Thank you, Jean! I'll plan to try out one of these in the near future and report back how it went.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:38 pm 

jeanf wrote:

I tried out the first of those two recipes today. I changed a few details, mostlly just to reflect my and my wife's personal tastes, but also to add a bit more than the called-for amount of milk to the dough, as it wasn't workable with the listed amount. I'll be posting my version of the recipe on the blog in the next few days. The recipe as written shoud work fine, though, save for the dough needing a bit more liquid. I added 1 tablespoon.

The samosas turned out great... very flavorful, as good as any I've ever had anywhere.

Thanks for the recipe, Jean! Most appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:15 am 

I posted about the Vegetable Samosas today, including a revised version of one of the recipe I used. Thanks again, jeanf, for the links!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:59 am 

Jeff and Julie, you are doing very good keeping up with your Indian cooking. Me less so. I still have that pack of paneer in my fridge and I am going away for a week. Anyone know if it freezes o.k.?

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:43 am 

Glad to hear the results, thanks for letting me/us know. I did neglect to mention that CL uses the spoon in and sweep measuring for flour, so if you dip and sweep you'll have more than they would. I use 4.5 oz as a weight for their recipes for AP flour.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:39 pm 

marygott wrote:
Jeff and Julie, you are doing very good keeping up with your Indian cooking. Me less so. I still have that pack of paneer in my fridge and I am going away for a week. Anyone know if it freezes o.k.?

Mary

Paneer freezes up just fine. We buy ours frozen at our favorite local Indian grocery.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:41 pm 

jeanf wrote:
Glad to hear the results, thanks for letting me/us know. I did neglect to mention that CL uses the spoon in and sweep measuring for flour, so if you dip and sweep you'll have more than they would. I use 4.5 oz as a weight for their recipes for AP flour.

Ah, that is good to know for future references. Thanks for that tip.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next