Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Making yogurt - is it really necessary to scald the milk?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:29 am 

I frequently make yogurt and I've been pondering the question above for some time. Since the milk is already pasteurized, what purpose does it serve to heat the milk to 180 F only to cool it down to the culturing temp? I hope that between the store and my house the milk doesn't pick up that many cooties. :lol: It would save time to skip this step.

Ruhlman says the point of heating is to denature the proteins, but wouldn't the pasteurizing do that?

He also cultures his yogurt for 18 to 24 hours. I find that after 6 hours it starts to get grainy. Maybe the Salton yogurt machine is set too high, I dunno.

Anyway I welcome your input. My goal is a thick, smooth yogurt like Fage. I strain my yogurt after chilling it but have not been able to consistently achieve the silky texture. I am wondering if the scalding is affecting the texture and also want to know any other secrets to avoid graininess.

Post subject: Re: Making yogurt - is it really necessary to scald the milk
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:45 am 

I read on Chowhound that it eliminates the slimy ropey yogurt that occasionally happens. You can read more about it in the huge thread: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/567084

I have not been able to get reliable results with my homemade yogurt. A couple batches turn out amazing, and then some don't. So I am still buying about 14 Fage cups a week for my daughter and me. Do you use powdered milk?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:29 am 

Becca, thanks for the link.

I have used powdered milk but didn't notice any real difference. I use whole milk, and whatever yogurt I have on hand as a starter (usually Fage). My experience is the same as yours - little consistency from batch to batch. I would be suprised if the Fage wasn't consistent so I'm at a loss to explain it. If only Fage weren't so durned expensive. I'd also like an organic version.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:05 pm 

I'd imagine that the age, etc. of the Fage would significantly alter it. Starting yogurt from yogurt is definitely going to have more variance then starting from a starter. A balkan style starter, and using whole milk should give a very smooth, thick yogurt (though might be more tart then you want).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:19 pm 

I found powdered milk really added a lot of body to the yogurt. But I've stopped making it, since I can get Liberte plain 2% yogurt at Costco quite reasonably, and we really like it. I'm pretty sure it would cost me more to make the same amount of yogurt, between the milk, powdered milk and yogurt starter.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:42 pm 

Can't stand the taste of powdered milk in my yogurt.

I use a Salton & go 20 hours (IIRC - it's been while), cool then strain to Greek consistency.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

Darcie,

Pastuerization does not denature the proteins because they carefully heat the milk for a very short time, too short to change the proteins (much). As an extreme example, UHT pastuerization involves heating the milk to above boiling for 1 second, and even HTST is 15-20 seconds.

We're lucky because our grocer is Greek, so we generally get Fage for $2/pint.

As for organic, I'd suggest writing Fage. That's the sort of request to which companies are responsive.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:59 am 

Another thing I have learned is that organic milk, being UHT pasteurized, makes grainy yogurt. So I'm just sticking to Fage because it's less time and hassle, and always delicious.

Maybe I need a cow. Do you think the city zoning folks would believe it's a really large, ugly dog?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:18 pm 

I recently bought a small single serving container of "organic milk" it said "no refrigeration needed" & "expiration date / Nov. 2012"

That just doesn't sound right..... :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:37 pm 

Darcie wrote:
Another thing I have learned is that organic milk, being UHT pasteurized, makes grainy yogurt. So I'm just sticking to Fage because it's less time and hassle, and always delicious.

Maybe I need a cow. Do you think the city zoning folks would believe it's a really large, ugly dog?

Around here, you can get regular-pasteurized organic milk in gallons at most grocery stores. It's only the cartons that are UHT. Also, Whole Foods carries a brand called "Kalona" that is vat-pasteurized, the least pasteurized that can be legally sold in most states.