Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Anchovies
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:09 pm 

Probably depends a lot on which winter. Here today, for example, it was -28 C or so this morning (that is -18 F for you heathens down south) with very little snow cover; the last part is likely the real killer. Stuff I've had unexpectedly survive the winter definitely won't this year. Last year we had lots of snow cover, plus the coldest day was only -23 C, so shorter plants at least got pretty ok protection.

FWIW, thyme survives here often, but rosemary does not seem to. Basil dies at the drop of a hat :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:18 pm 

To continue this thread hijack--I tried Arp rosemary in zone 6b when I lived in WV and it still did not survive a mild winter. Luckily I don't care much for rosemary so no great loss to me. It sure as heck wouldn't survive here in MN (last week was -29F - that's -34C to you folks in Canada, eh?). I am evenworried about my dwarf Alberta spruce...looks like frost heave has pushed the roots out of the ground...never a good sign.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:53 pm 

Does anyone have recommendations as to how to start using anchovies? I buy them and they sit.

What are some good entry level "put anchovies in that" kind of things?????? :?:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:15 pm 

CI has a great recipe for lighter Caesar chicken salad that uses anchovy in the dressing. It is very good and there is no fish taste. I also have a baked fish recipe that uses anchovies ground with parsley and garlic and stuff I don't remember and then baked in the oven that I can copy if you are interested. They give a nice savory taste that you can't quite place. As soon as I can place it, I don't like anchovies at all.

Mary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:45 pm 

Easy bake, I'll be glad to make a contribution to your anchovy supply. Knowing me, this little tin will still be around when they cart me off!
Fitzie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:29 pm 

I second the Caesar salad dressing. Spaghetti Puttanesca is another good one. If you get a little freaked out, just remember, if you've had worcestershire sauce, you've had anchovies.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:37 pm 

I'll take the fish recipe Mary, thanks.

Good ideas.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:20 am 

EB,
CI's Chicken Provencal; it' what's for dinner tonight. I concur that the dressing is tasty.

Darcie,
I can't get it to over-winter here, either. Last year is the first time. I did get that plant from a good nursery; no idea of varietal. It definitely can be done. SIL bought house from her grandmother in law, there's a Rosemary bush that greatly resembled a hedge. When I commented on it, she was clueless that it was an herb. So, I say..."if you ever decide you don't want it, I do". A year or so later BIL( y'all know where this is going, right?) relandscapes. He(teeth gnashing!!!) THREW it away. Oh, the horror.....