Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: roast duck
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:51 pm 

Just roasted a duck - results were OK but not good enough. The thigh temperature (a little over 160) was where it was "supposed" to be but the breasts were overdone (temp not taken). If anyone has a preferred roast duck recipe (or suggestions) - please pass it/them along.

Thanks!
Gerard

Post subject: Re: roast duck
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:24 am 

If I roast a whole duck, I use Bruce Cost's recipe from CI way back in 1994 or so. Even this recipe will not yield that rare breast.

Duck is best broken down into separate dishes.

Duck Breast: Saute with gastric
    Duck Leg/Thigh: Confit or Braise
    Duck Skin: Bake for cripins
    Duck Remains: Make into soup or stock
    Duck Fat: Save for sautes

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:49 am 

Thanks Tim - yeah, I looked at that one and thought it would be a bit challenging for my limited butcher skills.

I had been guardedly optimistic about this recipe - amongst other things - it required pouring 3 cups of hot water over the duck (3x), drying it off, letting it stand out at room temperature for 4 hours (slipped over an empty/clean wine bottle) and then refrigerated over night (still atop the wine bottle). There was even a honey-orange glaze that was applied before and during cooking. Not bad but not a keeper either. We'll see how the thighs/legs are tonight.

Gerard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:58 am 

Gerard,

Breaking down a duck is really pretty easy. Look on YouTube, I'm sure there must be a video demo out there.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:51 am 

Gerard,

Amy is right. Cutting up a fresh duck is actually easier than cutting up a chicken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssgkPmHfU5E

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:54 am 

There's a wonderful roast duck recipe over at Food52 which espouses a slow-roasting technique - very easy and I've used it several times without fail: Here it is:

Slow Roast Duck

Note: from Food 52

Ingredients

1 duck
Kosher salt

Directions

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Remove the giblets from the duck and rinse well, with cold water. Dry thoroughly with paper towels (including inside the cavity). Salt the cavity well.

Using a sharp carving fork, pierce the skin of the duck all over, working at an angle so you don’t cut into the meat, -- at least 30 or 40 times. Salt the skin liberally and place the duck, breast side down, in a roasting pan (a foil-lined rimmed baking pan also works well). Tuck the wings behind the neck and place in the oven.

Cook the duck, removing it every half hour or so and re-piercing the skin so the fat can escape. After 2 hours for a duck 5 pounds or heavier, 1 1/2 hours for a duck under 5 pounds, turn the duck onto its back, piercing the fat over the breast well.

Cook the duck an additional hour; the duck should look crisp and lightly browned.

Check for temperature -- if the breast is not yet at 165 degrees, turn the heat up to 350 degrees and continue to cook for another 15 - 30 minutes until dark brown and very crisp. (Alternatively, you can cut the duck into pieces, arrange the pieces on a rimmed baking sheet,and return them to the oven to crisp that way.) Let the duck cook for 5- 10 minutes before carving and serving.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:14 am 

Thanks for all your help and good ideas! The thighs turned out to be OK but again - more done than I wanted - despite a few readings in the rec'd range (160). I'm wondering if that's too high. Kind of like when recipes tell you pork is done at 150.

I did look at a few youtube videos on how to roast a duck. Like mine - all had meat that was quite done although I have to say the skin on mine was considerably more appealing. The video on carving up a duck was really helpful - that was a great idea - I often forget just what's available on youtube. Looks like something I might be able to do without too much difficulty.

Lindsay - thanks for the recipe - I'd love to have a go-to roast duck recipe in my repetoire.

And I agree Tim - braising the leg quarters and slowly sauteeing the breasts are probably the most reliable and possibly the best way to go.

Thanks again!

Gerard