Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Favourite pressure cooker recipes?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:02 am 

I'm so excited! I finally bit the bullet and ordered a Fagor Duo pressure cooker set (4qt and 8 qt pots), and am hoping to plumb the collective wisdom here of favourite recipes to try. I bought Lorna Sass' Cooking Under Pressure and Pressure Perfect, so have those to reference. Not sure what CI has to offer on this front...I checked the website and it was almost empty of pressure cooker recipes. Do some of the cookbooks have any? What do you all like to make in yours???

Post subject: Re: Favourite pressure cooker recipes?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:35 am 

I've never owned a pressure cooker, so I can' t help you with any recipes. Let us know how well you like your new toys.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:52 am 

I don't use recipes specifically for the PC, but I make many things in my PC which would take a long time on the stove, e.g., black beans and pot roast. Living at high altitude a pressure cooker is your best friend.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:41 pm 

CI's risotto is my favorite. I just adjust all risotto recipes to fit that (the mushroom risotto recipe is out of this world). I have the cooking under pressure book. Love the beef stew (called something like chuck wagon) You don't brown the meat at all and there is not much in it but, boy is it good!). You cook potatoes along with it so the absorb some of the liquid and then you mash them with cheddar.
I also have a really good black bean soup recipe from soccermom from the old board. Let me know. Also try this site: http://www.hippressurecooking.com/ She posted here a few times and she has tons of ideas. After doing a couple recipes, it is easy to see how to adapt recipes you already use (stews, beans, curries). Oh, I also LOVE corn on the cob in the pc.

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:46 pm 

Thanks guys. I'm self employed these days so time is not what I have a lot of anymore. I'm hoping this will help me get cooking soups and braises again, since I can't seem to get organized enough to pull out the slow cooker or batch cook on weekends. Speaking of which, I'd love the black bean soup recipe from S-mom, Mary, if you don't mind. I miss her....is she here?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:27 pm 

I use my pressure cooker all the time. Lentil soup in 10 mins. Butternut squash soup. Frozen lamb shanks. 90 min chicken stock. Arroz con Pollo. Precooking ribs when we don't have time for low-and-slow (weeknight ribs). Steel-cut oatmeal.

I also have Pressure Perfect and she has a lot of good ideas in there, like stacking food in a certain order, and the carrots in foil, that I would have never thought of myself.

Let us know how you like Under Pressure. I've considered buying that one, too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:44 am 

Corned beef in Guiness. Yum. Also, like Miss Vickie's Big Book. It has tables in it for everything you can cook in your p/c. And The Pressure Cooker Gourmet. If you're interested, this women's blog/site is pretty good: http://www.hippressurecooking.com/p/pressure-cooker-recipes.html

This is already here on the farro thread (if you like that grain, p/cing it is the way to go.)
Recipe from Jill Nussinow's new e-book, The New Fast Food, published April 2011. More of her recipes are available on her blog.

1 tablespoon oil, if using
2 shallots, peeled and diced to equal ½ cup
1½ cups farro seminperlato
½ cup white wine
2½-3 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon chopped tarragon or ½ teaspoon dried
½ teaspoon salt
½ pound asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup fresh or frozen, thawed peas
3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Heat the oil in your pressure cooker medium-high heat. Sauté the shallots for about 2 minutes. Stir in farro and coat with oil, if using. If not, dry toast the farro, for about 2 minutes. Add wine and stir until it evaporates, about 30 seconds.

Add 2½ cups of the broth and the tarragon, taking care to scrape up any browned bits sticking to the bottom of the cooker. Lock pressure cooker lid in place. Over high heat, bring to high pressure. Reduce heat just enough to maintain high pressure and cook for 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the pressure come down naturally.

Remove the lid, tilting it away from you to allow steam to escape. See if the farro is cooked to your liking. If not, put back on the heat and bring to high pressure for another 2 to 3 minutes. Then let the pressure release naturally again.

If the grain is cooked how you like, stir in the salt, asparagus and peas. Simmer on the stove top, adding the remaining broth if necessary, until the farrotto is cooked as desired and the vegetables are bright green. Add the freshly ground pepper and additional salt, if desired. Add the remaining broth if the dish needs it. This dish should have the same texture as risotto, which is a bit running but not too soupy. It will thicken as it stands. Serve hot, immediately, garnished with parsley, and soy cheese, if desired.

Serves 4-6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:52 am 

No, she was never here, I wish she were though. Her soup lives on though:

Serve with sour cream mixed with minced jalapeno pepper, lime wedges, and the usual suspect condiments for Mexican food ---e.g. avocado, cilantro, cheese, etc.
Saute in pressure cooker until soft:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onions
Add and saute briefly:
1 tablespoon cumin
4 cloves garlic, minced
Add, cover and lock pressure cooker, then bring to high pressure and maintain high pressure for 30 minutes:
6 cups water
1.5 cups black beans (picked through for debris and rinsed)
bay leaf
After 30 minutes, remove from heat and reduce pressure naturally. Then add and simmer a few minutes over low heat:
.5-1 tsp. salt
1.5 teaspoon oregano
2 tablespoons chilies in adobo sauce (or less if you are spiciness-averse)
Then stir in and simmer a few minute over low heat:
8 cups tortilla chips (not crushed and not packed---loosely packed is good)
whole tomatoes from a 16 oz can---drained then chopped
The chips will soften as you stir.
Add more salt if necessary.
Servings/Yield: --
Source: Soccermom CI bulletin board
Course: Main
Categories

Ⓒ Soups
Ⓒ Vegetarian
Ⓚ Beans soup mexican pressure cooker
Notes

When I make this again, I will probably use only 5.5 cups water and only 5-6 cups of tortilla chips.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:18 am 

Didn't read your post, Mary. We both seem to like hippressure cooking. She used to post on the old board occasionally.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:17 am 

I make many of my Cuban dishes in the PC, black beans, Cuban Pot Roast, meatload and meatballs in sauce, as well as all the Spanish type potage soups, lentil, garbanzo, green plantain. I've made Cuban Pork in the PC when in a hurry, plus Chicken Cacciatori, German Potato Salad, etc. Like Amy, I will adapt recipes that typically call for long braises and do them in the pressure cooker. I've also made both chicken and beef stock in the pressure cooker. I use mainly my Cuban cookbooks and the booklet that came with my old Mirro and Presto cookers and adapt from there. CI has a recipe for North African Lamb Stew that was quite good as as Mary said the risotto can't be beat. The latest Food and Wine (10/2012) reviews pressure cookers and has a few recipes as well. If you want any particular recipe, I'd be happy to post it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next