Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best ever Macaroni Salad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:49 pm 

I made this on Friday and it is by far T.H.E. B.E.S.T macaroni salad I've ever made. I did make a few changes, which I've noted below, but here's the link: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/macaron ... 055/print/

Changes/comments are: I used 1 1/2 cups barilla elbows, eliminated the parsley/peas/cheddar/ham, subbed red pepper for green, and added more carrots/celery for additional crunch. I've been searching for a great MS for a long time and, this is IT.

Nance

Post subject: Re: Best ever Macaroni Salad
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:08 pm 

Hi Nance, the one you posted has some interesting ingredients, almost like a mac and cheese but cold.
Here's my absolute favorite in case you might want to try it. It is adapted from a combo of recipes. I vary the pasta from actual elbows to conchiglie depending on what's in the pantry. We rotate this with my Adapted Reduced Fat Potato salad and have one in the fridge most of the summer.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK.

BEST CREAMY MACARONI SALAD ADAPTED RECIPE***** Servings: 8

* If I don't have any sweet onions, I mince regular onions and cook them lightly in the leftover grease from the bacon to take out the possible bitterness. Let them cool before adding to salad. Splenda has been subbed for sugar and raspberry vinegar for apple cider vinegar. You can use ¼-cup relish for the sweet gherkins.

Preparation Time: 30 minutes Cooking Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 45 minutes

1 lb. Large elbow macaroni
½ lb. Bacon, fried and crumbled
¼ cup Sweet onions finely diced * or regular onions
½ cup Celery thinly sliced (I cut stalks in half vertically before slicing)
1 Red sweet bell pepper small, finely diced
¼-½ cup Pimento stuffed olives sliced
¼ cup Italian parsley minced
¼ cup Diced sweet gherkins
1/2 cups Miracle Whip Light
1/2 cups Light Mayonnaise
2 tsp. Prepared yellow mustard
1 tsp. raspberry vinegar
¼ cup Juice from 1 or 2 lemons (I used a bit less)
2 tsp. Splenda
1 tsp. Kosher salt (Diamond)
½ tsp. White pepper (I prefer it to black)
1 TBS. Celery seeds

Bring 4 Quarts water to boil in a large pot and add 2 TBS. of Kosher salt. Follow pasta directions or stir in macaroni and cook until thoroughly done, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain the macaroni in a colander and rinse with cold water until cool. Shake the macaroni dry in the colander and spread it in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet lined with paper towels. Let the macaroni dry for 3 minutes at least. Roll the macaroni n paper towels when ready to use.

Mince onion and fresh parsley. Dice celery, bell pepper, olives and gherkins.

Cook bacon in large non-stick skillet until crispy. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels. Reserve bacon grease for other use but don't wipe pan. Place chopped onion in pan and stir for one minute. Set aside to cool.

Mix celery, onions, bell pepper, parsley and green olives together in a large bowl first, then add cooled macaroni.

In 4 cup measuring cup, (or a separate bowl) mix the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, diced pickles (or pickle relish),Splenda, salt, pepper and celery seed, stirring well.

Pour dressing into the macaroni mixture and mix well.

Stir in the crumbled bacon.

Refrigerate for at least one hour and serve chilled.

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, Bacon, Celery, Onions, Pasta, Salad, Side Dish, Splenda

Author: MINE
Source: Adapted from New Best Recipe and various other sources.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:13 am 

Yes, Alina, I did try yours once a few years back and thought it was good. But we really like the one I just posted. It captures the flavors we were looking for. But thanks for re-posting!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:31 pm 

I am glad you have found one you really like.

I seem to have a broader palate for potato salads, e.g., I like almost all varieties as long as they are not too wet, not sure why.

I seem to have a very narrow one for macaroni salad and really like the one I posted. If I call it pasta salad, I am more open to various combinations though not usually excited about any (ditto for bean salads). Trying to expand my repertoire of cold dishes (it was 110° F here on Saturday) other than greens, such as brown rice salad, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:42 pm 

Well, you're both ahead of me. I've never met a macaroni salad I liked!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:11 pm 

Amy, I've been trying to figure out what I can use instead of the actual macaroni. The rest of the salad ingredients, onion, bell pepper, celery, pickles, olives and bacon I really like.

Our zucchini is starting to come up, so I was thinking maybe slicing it thinly, and barely sautéing (don't wanted it cooked, but not completely raw either) in some of the bacon grease and trying that instead of the pasta. I am thinking getting it warm would help it absorb the dressing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:09 am 

I've been making cold salads the last few years, too. I have a broccoli one I like from the NY Times and I have been making something tabouli-like with quinoa as well.

*Edited to add - you can significantly drop the amount of Olive Oil in the Broccoli salad. I only use a couple of tablespoons.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:22 pm 

We're great salad eaters. Tonight it's tabbouleh with socca and grilled chicken. Just finished a large bowl of brown rice & Italian sausage salad which I dearly love and had for lunch and dinner for several days. My specialty is potato salad which I make several times a month year round and probably weekly in the summer. I make a pasta salad with chicken & bleu cheese which is about as close as I ever come to a macaroni salad. I think if you can make a good vinaigrette, almost anything can be a salad.

fitzie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:28 pm 

Lisa, i love that broccoli salad. I cut way back on the oil too. I am happy it is salad season again, it is our summer staple.

Mary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:27 pm 

Fitzie I would love the brown rice and sausage salad recipe since I always want to add some meat/protein. We load up on the cheese, but DH is a carnivore. I am getting ready to make a bunch of small meatballs that we can have on the side.

Off topic but related, on the current Food Network star, one of the contestant's schtick is "Meat on the Side" . I think it is a very interesting concept if she can pull it off (did not with the burger challenge).