Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Outdoor Kitchen
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:12 am 

Dang, the back problem is a real bummer. Hope he feels better soon. Keep planning, it's fun even if you can't tackle the project just yet. Besides you might find even more cool ideas in the mean time.

If you do decide on glazed tiles, another way to ensure you get high fire is to go for files labeled porcelain. Tiles can be very inexpensive if you shop well. Not sure if you have Floor N' Decor there but they always have nice neutral glazed tiles in the $1+/-ft range. I think you could probably find something at Home Depot or Lowe's too.

I think in a freeze area like yours I would still consider using a vinyl caulk instead of grout for tiles. Reason being that grout will absorb moisture and then the freeze causes it to crumble. The flexible caulk will offer more expansion for the surface and keep the grout lines in decent shape longer - or at least it seems logical that it would work that way.

Looking forward to hearing more about the backyard kitchen :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:14 pm 

The outdoor kitchen is back on track. We went this morning to get some of the framing materials and posts for the 10 X 14 hip roof that is going over the kitchen. We're starting with the roof so it will be easier to work the counters in once the posts for the roof are in place. We are thinking of thatching or metal. DH really wants to do the thatching. It can be purchased in rolls so it is easily installed. The interior of the roof will be open so you can see the beams.

Hopefully we can get it completed before the summer ends. We have the little fridge for it, but need to buy the sink. We are thinking of brick for the base cabinets and wood for the doors. My nephew has access to stailess steel and the equiptment to bend and shape it so I am considering that for the counters and possibly the doors fronts. What do you all think of that as a material for outdoor use? Would it look spotted and pitted after a while? Any thoughts?

I am hoping to also incorporate a bench with planter boxes on each end for herbs and extra seating. The kitchen itself will be L shaped with an additional angled bar coming off one side that can be accessed from either side for seating. That way you can set and watch the cook or set on the oposite side and be part of the larger deck that is 3 steps up and leads off the kitchen deck area.

This will be a fun project. :D :D

Laurie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

Laurie,

The issue with metal counters are sun and heat. They reflect any direct sun. Also metal surfaces will become quite hot when it is hot out, and very cold when it's cold.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:02 pm 

That is a good point Fuzzy, I hadn't thought of that. Darn, I wonder about the cabinet fronts, they will be facing the house side. But, then again I don't want to many different types of surfaces going on.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

Well, on the up side, you wouldn't have to worry about durability or weather resistance.

I still like my idea of just leaving the brick, and having lots of big cutting boards.