Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Blendtec? Vitamix?
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:41 am 

Two different machines, wondering if anyone has tried both? I can purchase either through Costco, so I'm curious. I do plan to use the dry blade of either to grind some wheat berries----yes, I'm fully aware that I should really have a grinder for that, but not gonna happen right now. Besides that side-step, I'm of course, going to be using either for all the other wonderful things it can do. :) Any input?

ETA: Here are my research notes so far…I like that the Blendtec has a smaller-height footprint, purely for aesthetic purposes. I wonder what the advantages are between the BT and VM that the VM has the "plunger bar" to help keep things moving, and the BT has the wider base and five-sided jar to keep things moving, because of the vortex created. Regarding the dry grain, research has shown that the BT has ground finer (but, I think that could be the timing), where in the VM needs the "plunger bar", again, to keep things moving. Lastly, the base of the BT is larger, which I find appealing for digging out those last bits of thick blended bits. In the end, what is the advantage of either, really?

Post subject: Re: Blendtec? Vitamix?
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:47 pm 

I own a VM, and my Dad owns a BlendTec, from my experiences I definitely prefer the VM. The BlendTec is a really good machine if you are doing mainly smoothies, but for nut butters, grinding flours, etc.... The VM is more well rounded.

The ability to jumpstart the mixture using the plunger is super helpful, although I really do not need it that often. I wonder if the BT is large enough to puree an entire batch of soup at one time like in my VM? I keep mine on my island, so the extra height is not a problem.

VM's customer service and 5 year warranty can't be beat. The container slipped out of my hand wet and slammed into the floor hard at a weird angle. It broke. They immediately sent me a new one.

I grind flour all the time in the main container. I haven't wanted to buy the smaller dry container. I think I read that there isn't a real difference. The large container just gets real etched if you use it to grind flour. I do not mind that.

By the way, VM does offer a 3 payment plan if you buy it from the website. That is what I did. You might get it cheaper at Costco though. I haven't regretted my purchase for a second!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:54 pm 

Thanks, Becca! All good things to know. And you grind flour in it--any tips/hints for me? :)

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:58 pm 

It grinds, even small amounts, without a problem. I regularly grind 1 cup or so of oatmeal into flour. I never have to use the plunger for that. The more you grind the easier it is...

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:35 am 

We bought our BT at Costco several years ago. Now Costco is selling VM -- I saw it there this week.

We mostly use our BT for smoothies, drinks, soups etc., but this post has me realizing it's under utilized.

My only complaint so far about the BT is that it so doggone loud, I feel like I need to use ear protection when it whirls. I'd like to measure its decibels but that's all my kitchen needs, another gadget!

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:17 pm 

I bought my VM at Costco last year....could not be happier. Great versatile machine. I have not tried to grind in it....good to know that I don't need to buy the extra canister.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:40 pm 

Thanks for all the comments…I'm keeping the VM. :) I think I'll keep the dry container, for now, to compare. I read on their site that they have different blades, as the wheat berries can dull the wet blade. Yes, could be a marketing ploy. I've got berries on order to be arriving Tuesday. I'll do a comparison test. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:46 pm 

Perhaps. I have not used it for wheat berries, as they are hard to find. Just rice, oatmeal, etc. when I need a bit...

If you can get green coconuts where you live, you should blend the pulp with ice. My dad made me one of these drinks and I can't stop thinking about it! It was incredibly delicious. He throws cacao powder in his occasionally. I wish I could find them around here. By the way, he learned how to get to the pulp on youtube.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:18 am 

I have never owned a VM, but the guys I worked with used to haunt the garage sales and thrift stores looking for them. That kind of tells me what I need to know. These guys were not cooks/chefs but rather maintenance/parts room types that watched lots of power tools come and go. They had a rather developed appreciation of quality construction.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines