Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outdoor Kitchen
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:26 pm 

Do any of you have outdoor kitchens? We are selling our hot tub which leave a good size area of my deck open for an outdoor kitchen. I have been doing a lot of research on designs etc. We know we want a L shape with an island for seating or an U/angled shaped with seating. I have found many design idea's however the counter top issue is not clear. Evidently in cold climate's tile is not an option as it can crack. I am looking at flagstone pavers. I would really like concrete, but it takes a month to cure and I am not that patient.

Any idea's out there for an economical do-it-yourself outdoor counter top in Northern MI?

Also cabnitry, we're thinking cedar. What about the composite decking material, would that work?

We will add a 6 gallon water heater (we own an RV dealership so have access) for the sink and would like to put in a small refrigerator and maybe an ice maker.

I have a dream of a wood fired pizza oven too...lol. Hubby will build if I can work it into the budget. It would have to be on the smaller size, and in the yard, not on the deck as that would make me nervous.

If any you have any input I am open to all sugestions. We are hoping to get started over Memorial Day weekend since we will have enough time to get a good start at it. So I will need to have all the materials by then.

Laurie

Post subject: Re: Outdoor Kitchen
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:05 pm 

I'd look into the composite material. My parents had to replace their humongous Gone With the Wind-style porch a few years ago and they went with that. It looks great and is wearing well. Also, they got a bargain because the folks who put it in had photos taken for their sales brochure. Seems that people tend to think of the stuff as being purely for decks. Since your project is also unusual, maybe you could make a deal, as well. Oh, and they live in Southwest MI -- pretty much the same climate.

I think the concrete pavers sounds like an excellent idea. They would already be cured and I assume you can just seal them like you would a straight-up concrete counter. You might look into what goes into the dyes used in pavers, though and make sure they are food-safe.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:51 pm 

I call shenanigans on the 28-day cure. While it's true that concrete will continue to cure for a long time after it's poured (the center of the Hoover Dam is probably still curing), I am pretty confident that you could use a countertop in a much shorter timeframe, probably could grind/stain/seal after 72 hours and use it within a week. Think about it - how long before you start walking on a newly-poured sidewalk? Usually just a couple of days. It isn't completely cured, but it's sure usable.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:05 am 

JesBelle, I'll look into that idea, thank you.

Darcie, You make a good point, I am going off info found on the net. I think the biggest problem is you don't make it on the surface where it will be used. It is made separately and then has to be put into place and secured with an adhiesive. It's the moving part that can be difficult in avoiding cracking etc. They recomend a minimum of 2 weeks and sugest 28 days.

Laurie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:59 am 

You can pour a countertop in place, but it's a little more difficult to finish the top surface.

When I was doing my kitchen I seriously considered this so I did a fair amount of research.

We have an outdoor grill that the previous owners made out of brick. They used concrete pavers (2 x 2 foot) for a work surface next to the grill part and it's held up well. I'll try to get a picture for you later today.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:39 am 

Laurie, can't help but but did want to say that Costco up here sells a complete outdoor kitchen every year, maybe worth looking into?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:01 pm 

Laurie, check HGTV or DIY. Programming says there are several shows on outdoor kitchens today. Likely more. Good luck! I am envious.

We do Camp Joad; Tent/canopies, with a camp kitchen from Cabela's and grill, furniture and of course! a bar. Several years ago, one of the shows did an outdoor kitchen in Chicago that made me cry it was so gorgeous.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:34 pm 

I guess I will look further into pouring the counter top in place. You would have to have wood under it to do that though, not sure if that would show.

I have a nice big stainless steel grill we bought at Sam's 3-4 years ago and we will incorporate that. If nothing else it's fun looking for ideas and fact finding.

Laurie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:41 pm 

Hi Laurie,
It sounds like a super fun project. I lust after outdoor kitchens. It would be nice to have a big area to wash and sort greens and fresh vegetables. My friend has a garden and bringing in produce from her garden is always such a mess!!

You might think about looking at big granite dealers in your area. Ours has a LARGE area of scrap and also used countertops off all materials (many with sinks in place) that they have removed for new installations. I am always surprised at what nice stuff comes out as "scrap" and used. Of course the dollar cost is very low for these units.

I can (as in preserve) pickled beans and other things down at another friends house who has a large garden - he uses a large turkey fryer burner for the big canning pot. It is great to do this outside and not heat up the kitchen.

I would design in a spot for that outdoor wood fired oven - surely you can sneak it in there at some point in the future. What fun. It just seems like you would regret not preplanning for it even if you don't do it right away.

Can't wait for the photos.

Lynn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:25 pm 

We have a place about 40 minutes from here that has salvage from teardowns. I'm not sure about a granite dealer, but I will check that out. I do want a wood fired pizza oven. if we can work that out $$$. It will not be on the deck, but in the yard close by. The deck where the kitchen is going is right next to the garden. I hadn't thought about how nice that will be. You are correct it is a sandy mess cleaning veg indoors.

Laurie