Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Meat slicers
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:02 am 

I really, really don't need to be buying more kitchen equipment, but I've been thinking about buying a meat slicer for a long time, and I'm doing my research.

I know nothing will compare with the Hobart I use at work, but is there a home model that remotely measures up to a professional slicer?

Amy

Post subject: Re: Meat slicers
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:09 am 

Well, they will do in a pinch but you will be disappointed for a couple of reasons. The most important (to me) is that you can't slice anything very large. For example, if you make bacon, the safety holder won't allow putting the slab lengthwise. WTF good is a slicer that can't cut bacon?

Secondly, slices are not even. The home units are flimsy and it is difficult to get cuts even on anything large than a cucumber.

Third, blades are generally not that sharp. Wouldn't want anyone to get hurt!

FWIW, I have a Kalorik model. I called it "kewl" in my post on charcuterie because I have learned how to work around the biggest flaws and it now mostly does my bidding :twisted: , but I seriously want a Hobart.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:42 am 

If you search for absoutely the cheapest meat slicer available, that's the one I have. Mine is in a Harbor Freight box but I see Rival sells the identical model.

The tray and the blade come off but otherwise it's impossible to really clean. The thickness adjustment is made by two pieces of plastic that sort of telescope into one another and I know there's dried up meat inside there that I can't get out. It also has no angle so the sliced meat sort of flops over on the other side of the blade - I have to stop after each slice and place the fresh slice aside.

But it really doesn't have the flaws that Darcie mentions - I can slice bacon (of course it mostly involves not using the guard, but you can't have everything!). The thickness is as even as the pressure I apply with the meat against the guide. The blade is serrated which helps with the sharpness problem. I can slice bacon very thin with the thinnest slicer setting and light pressure. I understand that I can use it to slice bread although I've never bothered getting it out for that.

I'm really not recommending mine - just commiserating.

Just curious, Amy - what's your budget? I'll be interested in seeing where you end up with this.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:59 am 

Looks just like the one I have; except, mine is older....it is a good name brand, but I can't remember. Does okay, nothing to get excited over. Around $100 in 1987. See, even then, I asked for cooking presents. :mrgreen:

I couldn't get mine to slice slab bacon, tho it was indeed a slab(you realize it went like this...Dad, I sure would like to have some slab bacon....presto!).

Last edited by crystal on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:21 pm 

I have that one, too. After endless bitching from the Kid Who Worked In The Deli, I kept it put away. I broke it out for the infamous pickled tongued episode.

It's OK, but does have a tendency to wander....It wouldn't be for daily use, but it is handy, especially for l/o prime rib, corned beef, and aforementioned tongue.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:58 pm 

I have this slicer at home and I love it. I bought it at Commercial Kitchen Supply house.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=berkel+slicer&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=6100845097604481607&ei=4txeTY-BMdGbtwff_Y26DA&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CEAQ8wIwBA#ps-sellers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:54 pm 

We have a cheapie Krups like Pete's. It's ok for slicing pears uniformly for dehydrating, and we use it for slicing fresh potatoes for chips. Overall pretty worthless for the cupboard space it takes, but hubby likes it so it's ok by me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:56 pm 

Todd,

I've used that slicer, and frankly I wasn't blown away. But, as I said, I'm very spoiled by using a Hobart.

Pete, I dunno, maybe $200?

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:41 am 

Amy,
In your own words.

Amy wrote:
TheFuzzy wrote:
We generally buy others from even better local brands (we're spoiled), but when FSTG chips are on sale, I often pick some up.

:rapsberry

:P :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:23 am 

Yes, we all have our levels of spoiled.

But, being spoiled by using a $4,000 meat slicer is pretty different than being spoiled by a $4 bag of chips.

Just sayin'.

Amy