Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rice Cooker
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:25 pm 

I'm making a lot of sushi these days, and I'm not satisfied with how my rice is coming out when I cook it on the stove (partially due to being "high and dry"). I'm thinking about getting a rice cooker, but don't want a large one (it's only two of us most days). Anyone have a recommendation?

Amy

Post subject: Re: Rice Cooker
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:33 pm 

Amy,
I've liked my Tiger Rice Cooker purchased from Costco one or so years ago. They still carry it. It cooks all sorts of rice well.

Tiger Rice Cooker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:42 pm 

Thanks Ivy.

Does it make super small quantities of rice well?

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:54 pm 

Most of the rice maker manufacturers use a 6 ounce "cup" when describing their machine's capability. Stir-fried rice works best with day old rice, so if you make too much, storing the extra in your reefer for a day or so works like a charm. We have a small-ish cooker ourselves since we only go through 25 to 30 kilos of rice a month here.

Steve

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:12 pm 

I routinely cook one 6oz dry cupful of rice and I guess it yields double that but I have never measured. It's enough for two, maybe even a little too much. Sometimes I have leftovers, sometimes not depends on what I am serving, who decides to stop by etc. There are smaller cookers out there especially by Zojirushi a solid brand.

3 cup rice cooker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:34 pm 

Thanks everyone. I was looking at that Zojirushi cooker. (Thank you Ivy.) It gets great reviews, and it particularly gets raves for small quantities. Anyone have experience with it?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

Amy,

I'd swear we already had a whole thread about rice cookers on this board, but heck if I can find it.

I have one of the inexpensive 6-cup Zojirushi (i.e. no electronic controls). It works quite well for making basic white rice. Cost me around $50.

In my experience, large rice cookers do not make small quantities well; they tend to overcook it. You can make around 1/3 of the rated capacity of the cooker (understanding the 6oz "cup"), but not really less than that. Of course, I haven't used any of the expensive "fuzzy logic" cookers, so maybe they do a better job with small quantities. Mind you, it would be cheaper to get two different sizes of non-electronic rice cookers ...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:41 am 

I have a Sanyo 6 cup that I love. There are only two of us as well and it works very well with one "cup" of rice (a cup of rice as measured by the cup that comes with the rice cooker is actually 3/4 of a real cup). I think it's important to get a good size one to keep it from becoming a one-purpose item. I use mine (which has a timer) for overnight cooking of steel-cut oats, which is use for breakfast and baking as well as all sorts of other grains. Mine also has a close cooker item, so it keeps things warm if I don't want to use the stove. And of course for entertaining it's nice to have the bigger size.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:04 am 

I have a microwave rice cooker and I think it does a great job, plus it doesn't take up any countertop space while operating which is a bonus in my kitchen. I have the Pampered Chef one, have used it for about 6 years, and it still works great. The unique thing about this cooker that I haven't seen on others is the boil-over prevention feature. I think it's the same as this one. (I only have the PC brand because I got it for 1/2 price.)

The rice takes 15-20 minutes for 1 cup rice (dry measure). My microwave even has a "Simmer" button that works perfectly for this (high heat until water boils then 1/2 power for remainder of cooking).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:18 am 

I have a Panasonic fuzzy logic cooker that seems bullet proof; great rice every time. In fuzzy logic mode (not quick mode) is is slow, though, but will give you rice in a fixed amount of time. It works well for smaller quantities, though not sure about one cup. I'm pretty sure it is the same as one of the Zojirushi models sold in the US, looks identical.