Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Natural gas smoker
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:35 am 

Frank and Tim...avert your eyes...

I'm in the market for a natural gas smoker, and am looking for recommendations. I've got an opportunity for some new business (can't divulge details), and I need to be able to smoke volumes of meat without babysitting it like I do with my bullet. I'd love one that could also do cold smoking, but that is probably a pipe dream.

I'm assuming any LP unit could be converted to NG. Is that correct? I need to avoid LP because it's just too dang cold here too many months of the year for LP to work, and I've got access to NG.

Thoughts?

Amy

Post subject: Re: Natural gas smoker
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:31 pm 

Yes a propane appliance can usually be converted to natural gas. NG requires a larger orifice and, of course needs no regulator. Some companies sell conversion kits, but simply drilling the orifice can work.

I am sure there are some profane burners out there that are engineered and constructed in a manner that will defy conversion. An aftermarket hose and connector will probably be needed.

OTOH, an NG smoker can probably built from spare parts from an appliance dealers back room if one could find a appropriate box.

Electricity can be another good option. It is even more heretical than gas. Then you could use smoking pellets instead of real wood and have all the control you will ever need.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:58 pm 

Which brings up another point...I need to convert for high altitude. I had to do this for my BlueStar. So, what would be the "sweet spot" orifice for this type of conversion: LP to NG; sea level to high altitude?

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:07 pm 

Since an NG orifice is balanced for available oxygen at sea level, it seems to me that altitude would require a smaller orifice to compensate for reduced oxygen. Maybe a sea level propane orifice would work for high altitude NG.

It is also possible that I have it backwards and a bigger hole would be required. :? My gas expertise is limited to methane production.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:12 pm 

jim262 wrote:
Since an NG orifice is balanced for available oxygen at sea level, it seems to me that altitude would require a smaller orifice to compensate for reduced oxygen. Maybe a sea level propane orifice would work for high altitude NG.

It is also possible that I have it backwards and a bigger hole would be required. :? My gas expertise is limited to methane production.

lol...

I get the whole thing turned around in my head as well. I think I'll call my BlueStar regional rep on Monday and ask him.

Thanks,

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

Amy, there's charts for this somewhere. I have them for kilns, there have to be some for stoves and smokers. You may want to buy a second valve for NG in case you ever want to switch the smoker back to LP.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:18 pm 

We have both a big charcoal smoker and a small electric smoker, which I use primarily for shorter cooks where I don't want to heat up and clean the large smoker. I have this product, which makes it possible to cold(ish) smoke in my small electric. It may work for propane, too.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:30 pm 

Thanks Lisa, but I do not want electric. In a non wood/charcoal-fired situation, gas will produce better bark, etc.

Jim, your instincts were good. I just got off the phone after a half hour conversation with my BlueStar rep (we've become buddies), and he thinks that I may only have to play with the venturi tube on the NG conversion to get what I'm looking for, as outdoor applications are not as critical as indoor applications.

He also suggested I look at a line of grills he reps (Alfresco Grills) as they could satisfy all the requirements I have. They're just too dang expensive for me.

I'm narrowing in on some choices.

Thanks again,

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:47 pm 

Yes, I understand. I just thought the cold smoke product may help you even on your propane smoker. :)

--Lisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:15 pm 

The cold smoke is a wish, not a need, so I think I'll just stick with what's cost-effective. Thanks,

Amy