Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cooking from the freezer VI
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:37 am 

Decided to make veg beef soup. Going to roast the beef in the oven for a few hours with some chicken broth with wine & thyme. Then continue to empty the freezer. Should be able to use up lots of misc veggies.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:03 am 

Hi Kathy,
Your CFTF threads should take on a new flair with the pitter patter of four little feet in your household! Jasmine has her own fridge drawer, and a freezer section.

Her freezer section has special bones I get custom cut at the natural food store. They are marrow bones (legs) from a small processor. The butcher gets them in whole sections so he can custom cut. Most marrow bones are cut shorter, she will gulp them so we get them cut at 3 inches.

My friend also makes her a brown rice and livers mixture that she gives me in ziplock bags for the freezer. And of course there are the small bits of gristle from poultry (the ends of legs), and the gizzards and hearts from whole chickens. I also freeze the bananna peanut butter biscotti for dogs that she makes, it just keeps better in there and I dole those out very slowly.

Her fridge section has outdated eggs that I cook for her, empty marrow bones that we refill with tiny bits of peanut butter or low fat Velveeta (only about a teaspoon), and opened cartons of Beneful which I give her a little bit of smeared on a plate after dinner.

I'm sure Wendall would help you with any bad freezer burned ground beef or other questionables. The more questionable the better in their minds I think.

Semi-hijack over.

Lynn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:41 am 

easy bake wrote:
The more questionable the better in their minds I think.

Ain't that the truth...

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:14 am 

Added to the soup - a bag of Cope's corn, some ocra & some greens. Looks good

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:04 am 

Okay, okay - you've shamed me into action. My freezers have made it to the top of this year's 'to do' list just because of this thread. For the record: I will try really, really hard to buy no more meat (of any species) until every last bit has been transformed into people chow. Currently they hold lobster shells, smoked black cod, salmon up the ying-yang, pork in many forms, likewise beef (including two tongues), chicken breasts, whole turkeys, parmigiano rinds, ginger, and probably my lost car keys.

Today (or at least this weekend) will see the demise of bags of beef bones becoming stock and then reunited with its brethern - the leftover beef pieces I couldn't bear to throw from numerous roasts and steaks. Simultaneously, all of the captured heirloom tomato juices from countless bruschetta preps over summer will be pureed, sieved, and reduced to make some sort of sauce - hopefully to be combined tomorrow with the beef broth to create some sort of hybrid, edible dish - soup, stew, or, with a little vodka, maybe a shooter ... :lol:

Do I have to use up all of the flours??? :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:17 am 

Quote:
my lost car keys.

Don't laugh!! I actually found my lost car keys in the freezer! Evidently, I had them in my hand when in came in, and set them down to get something out of the freezer....... ("if I only had a brain...") It was, shall we say, embarrasing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:44 am 

:) i don't think it is required to use up the flours, but I do think there will be a lot of veg soup being consumed in this group in the next few weeks. ;)
Kathy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:20 pm 

I just took a 5 lb pot roast out of the freezer, posted another thread about how to cook it.
Am working my way through a box of baguettes from Costco (par baked, 8 minutes in the oven to finish them off, we love this bread and it's very economical when bought in a box of 20) so one of those for lunch.
We were away for a week (WDW) but used 4 salmon fillets from the freezer for dinner last night too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:20 pm 

I pulled some U-10 scallops for dinner tonight with a fresh salad.

While I was at it, I grabbed a package of 6 chicken thighs for arroz con pollo tomorrow. Plantains are ripening nicely as an accompaniment.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:18 pm 

Pulled chicken thighs to make Dave's ironpot chicken tomorrow. and had some shrimp apps tonight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 21  Next