Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Meatball Madness
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:39 pm 

I am searching for a meatball recipe that does not include onions. "Baby Jaden" has a craving for meatballs. I made CI and also Pam Anderson's recipe this past week. He preferred Pam Anderson's but the meatball was still dry. I bake the meatballs instead of pan frying them. I'm thinking about baking them half way and cooking them with the tomato sauce...btw, I use Marcella Hazan's
tomato sauce recipe which is out of this world. Pam Anderson's recipe calls for equal parts of beef, pork, and veal. Hope someone has a moist and flavorful meatball recipe...thanks!

Lu

Post subject: Re: Meatball Madness
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:52 pm 

Hi Lu, is it an allergy or just a dislike of onions? If it is the latter, do you ever sub leeks or shallots and mince them? I really like C@H's beef meatball recipe, they are baked as well. When I was on Atkins, I made a chicken recipe that subbed cucumbers for the onions and it was really good. That might work well in meatballs and give you a little moisture as well. Anyway in case you don't already have it, here's the recipe. It was recommended by someone in the TOBB and I've been using it ever since. Apart from my regular apricot sauce, I love these in the sauce from CC's Salisbury steak.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK
THREE-WAY MEATBALLS

If you want to make all 3 kinds at once, triple the basic meatball recipe and divide into 3 bowls. If you don't have time to form all of the meat mixture into meatballs, it can be vacuum packaged raw and then frozen. Be sure to label the bag with the amount, flavor, and date. When ready to use, thaw in refrigerator then shape into meatballs. Bake as directed.

Oven Temperature: 400°F

Servings: 6 Yield: 30 meatballs

Preparation: 25 minutes Cooking: 15 minutes Inactive: 20 minutes Total Time: 1 hour

BASIC MEATBALLS
2 lbs. lean ground beef
2 cups soft bread crumbs (about 3 slices of bread torn into small pieces)
1/3 cup finely shredded carrot (1 medium carrot)
1/3 cup milk
2 eggs
1 TBS. kosher salt
1 TBS. ground pepper
FOR TRADITIONAL MEATBALLS
1/3 cup finely chopped onion (Sub shallot, scallions or cucumber)
¼ cup chopped parsley
2 TBS. Worcestershire sauce
FOR ITALIAN-STYLE MEATBALLS
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
¼ cup chopped parsley
2 TBS. Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsps. dry Italian herb blend
½ tsp. minced garlic or ¼ tsp. garlic powder
ASIAN-STYLE MEATBALLS
1/3 cup sliced green onion
2 TBS. soy sauce
¼ cup chopped cilantro
1 TBS. minced fresh ginger or ¼ tsp. dry ginger

Place in bowl ground beef, soft bread crumbs, carrot, milk, eggs, kosher salt, ,ground pepper. Add seasoning for desired type of meatballs.

If making all 3 at once, set aside two bowls of ground beef mixture in refrigerator to keep meat cold.

Shape meat in third bowl into 1-inch meatballs. (A mini ice cream scoop works well.)

To bake: Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a rimmed sheet pan with foil for easy clean up. Place meatballs ½-inch apart on prepared pan.

Bake 15 minutes or until cooked through. Cool 20 minutes.

To freeze: Place meatballs in a single layer in 2 quart-size FoodSaver® Bags. There will be about 30 meatballs per bag. Label, vacuum package and freeze. Each bag of meatballs will make one dinner recipe

To thaw frozen meatballs when ready to use:
Thaw in refrigerator overnight, or immerse sealed bag in cold water until thawed, or cut corner of bag and defrost in microwave on defrost setting for 6 to 8 minutes or until meatballs are slightly soft.

Recipe Type: Beef, Bread, Carrots, Cuisine at Home, Eggs, Main Dish, Scallions

Source: Cuisine@Home forum
Web Page: http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubb ... page=&vc=1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:14 pm 

I make these all the time to great reviews. http://www.thegailspot.com/?q=node/183 (from the Soprano's Cookbook)

I coat a cookie sheet with olive oil and bake at 450, turning to brown all over and add them once browned to the sauce to cook through.
You can fry, but this tastes the same and is less messy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:12 pm 

Thanks so much for you suggestions! Did anyone ever try Rao's Meatballs? They look promising.

Here's a picture of Pam Anderson's Meatballs which were mediocre. I used Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce which only uses tomatoes, butter, and one onion...it was out of this world. Thanks for letting me share!

Lu